There is damp, still air among
this church made up of trees.
The giant maples are speaking in slow
creaks. The Oaks are letting go
of their tiniest dried out leaves.
I know a one room church;
wooden planks and wooden nails.
Once, I found the door unlocked,
swung it open. I intruded,
walking lightly across the
red center carpet, disturbing
religious silence and
window squares of dusty, sunlit air.
Through the open door,
swirls of white and gray
clouds swallowed sun and sky.
The wind found a way through,
sweeping my skin cold and
slamming the door.
For a moment, I could see
this church as refuge
and this fast moving weather as
a creature who could harm us.
Then, the closed air swallowed
my breath and God
did not seem to be here
but more out there.
So, I pushed open the door
and stood between church and sky.
imagining God and I, watching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lefty
Left-handedness I did a little research into left-handedness. Historically, right handedness was considered good and left-handedness...
-
Walking through the white painted door, splintered with time rot, feet thumping across porch wood, to false smile at you. I want to say...
-
I read that some people cling to the pain of grief because they fear letting the pain go means feeling farther away from the person. When ...
-
I met with a friend recently. Her mom passed away several years ago. We talked about how the second year of grieving was harder in some way...
No comments:
Post a Comment