Thursday, December 15, 2011
Thought Travelers
Last night, I heard an owl calling
from the big branched Oak
behind our house. Deep, soft hoots
repeating until I came out to rescue
the dog, tangled in roots below.
Maybe, the owl thought
the strong sound of heavy boots on
wooden stairs was an answer.
Or the owl wanted me to see
the dark roof of our world.
The dog untangled, the owl,
light shadow against darker sky,
gone, I stood listening
to the wild echoes of the moving
woods thinking about
human things, what to have for dinner,
what someone said, when
a thought traveler drifted in.
How old these sounds are, she
murmured. I listened
again to the light wind
combing barren branches
of winter stiff trees, heard the owls'
distant, low voice calling.
Even standing in this cold dark,
I have that comfort; I share
the soft hoot of an owl.
Lefty
Left-handedness I did a little research into left-handedness. Historically, right handedness was considered good and left-handedness...
-
Walking through the white painted door, splintered with time rot, feet thumping across porch wood, to false smile at you. I want to say...
-
I met with a friend recently. Her mom passed away several years ago. We talked about how the second year of grieving was harder in some way...
-
I read that some people cling to the pain of grief because they fear letting the pain go means feeling farther away from the person. When ...