Spring in Florida, Rita tells me, is like every other season except the flowers are different. Driving along the wide boulevards past bougainvillea, tall green palms and wide leafed mangroves, I think about long days of sun with the only change of season being the delicacy of flowers; not the wide, cool winds softening the snow line until drifts become ice and puddles revealing the gray brown skin of the Minnesota spring world.
I think about the gift, placed carefully on my pillow to be seen upon waking, of color spreading every year like a miracle, almost overnight. I think about giving up my long held wish of seeing Spring happen by staying awake at night. I learned recently, some birds migrate at night. Lucky birds seeing below their outstretched wingtips, in the dark night air, the loosening fist of a maple tree leaves, or the reaching trajectory of a white crocus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lefty
Left-handedness I did a little research into left-handedness. Historically, right handedness was considered good and left-handedness...
-
Walking through the white painted door, splintered with time rot, feet thumping across porch wood, to false smile at you. I want to say...
-
I read that some people cling to the pain of grief because they fear letting the pain go means feeling farther away from the person. When ...
-
I met with a friend recently. Her mom passed away several years ago. We talked about how the second year of grieving was harder in some way...
No comments:
Post a Comment