Saturday, March 25, 2017
A Choice
Slippery, blue and faded green
divided by blurred black lines
along your body, wall eye
toward me. You are a choice
laying in the belly of my hands;
thumb and fingers in a smoothed
grasping of fins and flesh.
Is it the careless joy of launching
with a fall into the shock of cold,
green water? Or wanting to hold on
too long with a limp, still death
or the half effort, letting this fish slip,
to lie on the water slick deck gasping
while I dodge and reach, nervously
laughing, at the flailing body.
My stepfather's voice is strong enough
to guide me to my knees at the end
of the dock, in a cautious, strained
lowering. Head first, then body into inches
of green lake water, where the fish stays still,
stunned, he says, until I open my hands,
feel the familiar, sad regret and let go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lefty
Left-handedness I did a little research into left-handedness. Historically, right handedness was considered good and left-handedness...
-
Walking through the white painted door, splintered with time rot, feet thumping across porch wood, to false smile at you. I want to say...
-
I met with a friend recently. Her mom passed away several years ago. We talked about how the second year of grieving was harder in some way...
-
I read that some people cling to the pain of grief because they fear letting the pain go means feeling farther away from the person. When ...
No comments:
Post a Comment